Thursday, October 14, 2010

Sitting here, pondering...

So, after a day full of interviews (even though I only had 2, it seemed to occupy all my day), I finally got home to check emails, and do a couple of things before starting dinner. Now all that's left is try and start figuring out different ways to start marketing my business, by trying to implement what my coach showed me last night (after by break down and the party). But aside from that, thinking about last night, my coach asked me what motivated me to get into fitness. What I came up with, is that partially it's because I've just always been active, and have always enjoyed movement. The other part is, as conceited and narcissistic as it sounds is because I never want to be fat.

This made me think back to when I was younger, and past observations, and having told my coach these observations, he made a remark just before I left, which made me think some more. Whether we like to admit it or not, but our country continuously gets heavier and heavier. It almost seems like a disease that is contagious. Not in the normal sense of how you would catch a cold or anything, but more in a social fashion. You eat what other people are eating around you... you take on some of their behaviors, like maybe staying in more rather than going out for a walk after dinner, etc. And I'm not saying that some people aren't heavy because of genetics, but that doesn't mean there isn't something you can do to go against it, or even try to set an example for your kids. Children look to their parents to learn, and by getting them into good habits will help them keep with those habits throughout life.

More and more children have started to become type II diabetic, something that used to be seen only in adults, and it's because of poor eating habits being imposed on them. This teaches them that it's normal to have McDonalds every night for dinner, or fried chicken and french fries. And not to say those things aren't tasty, but things like that shouldn't appear in your diet everyday, multiple times a day. And restaurants only cater to this behavior. I remember when I first started dating my boyfriend, we had decided to go to IHOP for breakfast (I love breakfast foods), and when looking through the menu trying to decide what I was going to order, I would've ordered pancakes cause I hadn't had them in a long time, but the smallest amount I could find was (from my recollection) 5 pancakes... no way I'd ever be able to finish all that. And upon further observation of the menu, there were meals that included an entire steak with other sides, 3 pancakes with at least 2 other sides, and I just don't know how other people can eat this much food! I ended up getting an omelet, and I could only get through half of it.

And I'm not claiming to have been raised eating the healthiest foods, nor am I saying that I eat extremely clean now. But I've also never put myself on a diet, because I believe they don't work. All diets do is tell you what you can't do. And what's the first thing people do when they come up against an obstacle like that? They are tempted to go against it, and sometimes will. I believe you shouldn't deny yourself the things you want, but do it in moderation. Because it's more likely for you to stay happy with yourself because you're not telling yourself "no." We get that from everywhere else in our lives, we shouldn't be doing it to ourselves.

Anyway, to get back, in most cases of overweight people, I believe that there is something that can be done to keep it from getting worse and even reverse it. But what people have to realize is that it is NOT going to be easy, and it IS going to take dedication and TIME. And it's a commitment you have to make to yourself and a "program" that will help you make that change, because it is a matter of changing your life and your patterns. And by one person changing their patterns, by taking positive action in terms of their fitness and nutrition (overall health) it begins to affect others around them (whether they take action themselves or not), and eventually will cause a ripple effect. And part of the reason I decided to become a coach for Beachbody is because I believe that the exercise programs work, when you commit to them and take advice from the nutritional programs that usually come with them, and because I want to be there for people who might need the positive motivation to help them make that change and provide information. Knowledge is power, and changing yourself is not easy.

Be the change you want to see in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment